We all have a vision of our perfect home. Some of us may envision something simple, but cozy and warm. Others might want something that looks a bit old-fashioned. Still others want a home that looks ultra-modern.
Our first home rarely matches exactly what we are looking for, but we make it as comfortable as possible, and dream about one day moving to something that is more closely aligned with the vision in our head. But why move when you can renovate?
- Looking for Inspiration? View our portfolio of West and North Vancouver Home Renovations.
- Learn more about North Vancouver home renovations and room additions here.
You are already invested in your home. You may have been there for several years already, paying down your mortgage bit by bit and building memories. Rather than continuing to look for the elusive dream house, why not renovate your current home to match your desires?
There are a few things, however, that you will want to keep in mind when considering renovations. The entire process can be wonderful and rewarding as long as you avoid these common mistakes:
- Hiring the Wrong Company. Any time you undertake a project like this, you will understandably want to find someone who can do the work quickly, with as low a cost as possible. After all, renovations will cause some disruption in your day-to-day life, which most people want to minimize, and virtually everyone wants to save money where possible. That said, it’s important to find a reputable company to work with you. Seek out a highly referred, highly reviewed company, and make sure they have liability insurance.
- Trying to Manage Your Own Project. Trying to manage one’s own renovation project does not often go very well. In fact, it tends to become a nightmarish experience more often than not. The scheduling involved, and the number of people you might have to deal with could result in a great deal of unnecessary stress.
- Going with the Lowest Quote. As mentioned above, it is certainly understandable to want to save some money, but you need to be aware that the savings will tend to come out of the quality. For example, paint may be of a lesser quality, with fewer coats applied. The lower quote may be attractive at first glance, but it may end up costing you more in the long run, both in terms of money, and satisfaction.
- Trusting a “Jack of All Trades”. When it comes to home renovation, there really isn’t such a thing as a jack of all trades. You will always obtain the best results from a company that has dedicated staff for different functions.
- Ignoring Customer Service Concerns. Customer service is always something that you should be looking for. Excellent customer service is an indicator of what you can expect from the company as a whole. If you find yourself feeling less than satisfied with the customer service being offered, that should serve as a warning regarding their overall service.
- Not Being Informed Enough. A major mistake is not obtaining enough information. Always seek specific, detailed quotes so that you know what to expect and what you will be getting. You definitely do not want any surprises, especially where your expenses are concerned.
Expert home renovation can give you the home that you have always wanted, made to your specifications. Just be sure that you know what you are getting yourself into and that you are relying on a competent professional company.